Wednesday, February 6, 2008

My Other Man

Confession time: I am in a relationship with someone other than my husband. I know it sounds bad, but I've known him since I was born. I need him in my life - without him I am horrible to be around. Even my husband can see that.

We have something of a fickle relationship, especially of late. I will stay at home, expecting him to arrive as usual, only to find he's nowhere to be found. Worse still, I'll arrange to meet him during the day when both kids are napping, and still he stands me up. Sometimes I wonder why I bother making plans to meet him at all.

Historically, our relationship was a little rocky to start with, but there were some extremely solid years at school when we were as predictable as an old married couple. In my University years, we had some trust issues - I would go for what would seem like days at a time with little contact with him, but I always returned, like a faithful puppy dog, needing him more than ever.

I guess our roughest patch was around the time each of my children were born. Maybe he was jealous at the time I was spending with them. I don't know. Either way, I know that I can never get enough of him, especially not now.

I wonder if you've seen him lately? He seems to have gone AWOL. If you do see him, please tell him to find me directly. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Come. Straight. To. Me.

His name? SLEEP!

No comments: